There comes a time in every woman’s life when she decides she needs to tell the world who she is. At some point we all put our hands on our hips and declare,”I am a grown woman!” It could happen when someone tries to show a little disrespect or it could happen when someone thinks their judgement is better or stronger than yours. Whenever it happens, it’s a real defining moment. After a some personal reflection on the moment I first put my hands on my hips, I decided that in the spirit of sisterhood, it was time that I share my 7 signs that you’re on your way to becoming a grown woman.
1. You listen more and speak less. Not because you have less to say but because you realize that you don’t have to always have to take center stage.
2. You are a mentor and a mentee. You are now able to share your insights and experiences with someone in ways that you couldn’t before. Yet, you are smart enough to know that you also need guidance and support so you’ve got a mentor or two in your back pocket.
3. You answer your cell phone even when you don’t know the number. At this stage in your life, you are not hiding from creditors or ex-boyfriends.
4. You are not afraid to pay your bills through auto-enrollment. You’ve got your budget figured out so you don’t need to get nervous about automatic deductions.
5. You can say hello, thank you and you’re welcome in a language other than your first. You may not have traveled the globe but you are savvy enough to pick up a few words here and there.
6. You can take yourself out for dinner and a movie and have a great time. Nothing says grown woman like a night on the town courtesy of me, myself and I.
7. You have no problem sending a text or making a phone call to your loved ones to let them know that you arrived to your destination safely. You understand that people love you and that your well-being is important to them.
Stay Fly, Stay Fabulous and Get Your Grown Woman On!
LA Drye is a workstyle specialist with a passion for all things related to Sistah Girls in the workplace. When not ranting and raving here, she can be found on Twitter @ladrye or on FaceBook at www.facebook.com/washndrye
Photo credit: http://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/